Many people today – whether singles, newlyweds or empty nesters – are purchasing condos or renting apartments that have a much smaller floor plan than homes of the past. Suites around 500 sq ft can easily accommodate a couple while even less room is needed for the single homeowner. The key is to use the space wisely.
Some options for maximizing a smaller living area include:
- Buy apartment or condo sized furniture that are more compact and still very comfortable. Opt for sectionals which create more seating while taking up less space. EQ3 has a great selection!
- Invest in storage solutions that hide or tuck away things when they are not being used including Murphy (wall) beds, floor to ceiling cabinets, or shelving units. IKEA has a great selection. If you can’t store it and you don’t use it, donate to a good cause!
- Glass table tops do wonders to make a smaller space look larger! They provide the homeowner the functionality they need without the crowded look of another large item.
- Mirrors! Whether modern, contemporary or classic, mirrors allow the homeowner to add a touch of their unique style while creating a perfect illusion of a larger living space.
- If you have a breakfast bar, purchase a dining room table at the same height. This allows for some stylish bar stools to be used in both places while taking up less space!
- If possible, choose an open concept designs that eliminate walls and create a feeling of spaciousness